Rajma Masala is a simple and tasteful Panjabi cuisine. Also this dish is famous in various parts of North India. Rajma means Kidney Beans. Rajma masala is served mainly with Basmati Rice/Chawal and also it well goes with Rotis, chapathis, Naan or Pulkhas.
Ingredients for Rajma Masala:
Rajma or Red Kidney beans – 2 Cups
Tomatoes – 3 large sized
Onions – 1
Green chilli – 1
Asafetida – a pinch
Ginger Garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 2 tablespoon
Turmeric – ½ teaspoon
Red chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1teaspoon
Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Soak Rajma or Red Kidney beans in 6-7 cups of water for 4-6 hrs. Cook them by adding little salt in a pressure cooker about 4-5 whistles. Let it for cool and keep remaining Rajma water aside.
- Chop Tomatoes, Green chilli, Ginger. Then grind them altogether.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and Asafetida.
- When it starts splutter, add finely chopped onion, fry it about 3-5min.
- Add Ginger Garlic paste and stir it well.
- Pour Tomato puree to it. Cook for 2min till the puree’s color get slightly change.
- This is the right time to add turmeric powder, Dhania powder, Red chilli powder and salt according to your taste.
- Add Rajma or Kidney beans to the masala and mix well. Add a cup of rajma cooked water to it. Rajma cooked water gives nice flavor to the curry instead of adding plain water. You can add according to the required consistency of curry.
- Add Garam masala powder.
- Garnish thinly sliced Tomatoes on Rajma masala for a nice texture and flavor.
- Cook Masala for 5min in low flame and turn off the flame.
Delicious Rajma Masala is ready to serve.
Note: As I explained here, chopped Onion can be added as it is to fry or else it can be grind and add to the curry with tomato puree.
Rajma masala powder can be used instead of Garam masala. You can get it in any Indian grocery shop.
Serves: 4 People
Cook time: 15min